Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Field trip: Shadwell's breeding farm

While in Lexington picking up my new sidesaddle, we dropped in on Shadwell Farm's breeding facility.
My friend Bob in Camden worked for Shadwell, training its new babies, until his death last December. This was my first time at a large farm of this sort. So when we drove up and the big iron gates just open automatically to the long road toward the office, I was feeling like I needed a Derby hat and heels.
I was told this was a "small office." Ok, small as in 2,000 square feet. Kent, the stallion manager, met us "in the circle" and I told him I was most interested in seeing Jazil, winner of the 2006 Preakness Stakes. I was surprised at how small he is. My Thoroughbred mare is quite bigger.
Invasor, winner of 9 Grade I stakes, also came out to see us. Chooj was desperate to pet them and I had to remind him to stay away from their heads. (Stallions like to bite once they've been to the breeding shed.)
In fact, here is the breeding shed, which was totally different from what I expected. I was thinking the whole thing took place in an area the size of a stall, but no. They get like a four-car garage type space. This picture is toward the observation room.

No comments: